Thursday, November 20, 2008

Twilight Express Now Boarding

Today is November 20th and at midnight millions of tweens and young teenagers will flock to the theatres to see this movie called Twilight. I personally don't read the series but I can say that the amount of advertising and crazed fans have successfully made me NOT want to see the movie or read the books. Purely because of the fact I will then be a sheep or under this trance that Stephanie Meyers, the author has put these people under. I'm sure it's a wonderful series but you need to understand that in the beginning I would have been more than happy to read the books yet, when you tell somebody they "have to read this" I eventually stop listening to you because the only reason these people can give me, is, "Well, it's better than Harry Potter." or my personal favorite, "It has vampires." I don't understand how that is persuasive at all. The twilight plugs on t.v. have actually not been that bad. There has been an ad here or there but not nearly as much advertising as say, The Dark Knight. This movie relies on its fan base to ignite enough interest and pure fanaticism to draw crowds. Eye candy doesn't hurt either... which brings me to Robert Pattinson who plays the male lead, Edward Cullen.

Mr. Pattinson has graced the screen of another novel phenomenon, Harry Potter. Although he was not the lead male, he rivaled Harry with his good looks as the fictional Cedric Diggory. I thought out of all the actors in the Potter series he showed the most promise, go figure. I thought there would be so much more for him than sleazy teen films. Perhaps he will move on from this genre after Twilight. Don't get me wrong, the movie may be done well, but personally, this actor is capable of so much more. I may eat my words if I ever read the books or see the movie, but I do believe the main attraction to this story is Edward's character. If he were an ugly vampire who fell in love with an attractive girl and they loved each other how many people would show up to the theatres? Not very many would want to show up to an updated version of Beauty and the Beast. Which, in my opinion, this movie is. This movie is primarily a modern tale of this from what I hear. A brooding social outcast from both genders come together and learn they love each other despite the fact that he's a vamp and she's a normal girl. There's definitely more to it than that, but the main premise is that "love conquers all." So here's to you, Mr. Pattinson making it in another novel to movie franchise, I dearly hope you don't typecast yourself anymore than you already have.
What makes a phenomenon in the movie business? Is it the fact that so many people are interested in something at the same time? Or is it the fact that that people are persuaded into thinking they're into something? In a culture where we are bombarded by mass media and consumer generated advertisements, it becomes more and more unclear to me everyday. In the situation of Twilight I feel it is something for people to hold on to. Since Harry Potter has ended and there isn't anything for the facebook generation to latch onto movie wise, Twilight is the perfect antidote. Let's hope there is no chance of overdose or side effects.

No comments: