Sunday, November 15, 2009

Alcohol. Good friend. Bad match maker.

Upon reviewing pictures that were just put up from my Halloween weekend, I realized...holy crap. My standards are NOT what they used to be. I looked at a friend's album who went to a frat party with me and the guy I (regrettably) made out with, is a complete...troll. He was not attractive in the least. Let me tell you, Jello shots, absolut, and rolling rock are this kids' best friend. Otherwise, I have no idea how he gets lucky. I won't mention where he went to school, God forbid he ever finds this. I mean according to him, my friends and I have "the personality of a wet blanket" and "are not at all that attractive"...funny, maybe he lowered his standards too. And, if I do remember myself, a person of this particular fraternity, is to uphold a certain morale for his chapter. A code known as, The True Gentleman. Far be it from me to judge, I was never a believer in sticking very closely to such strict rules, but to blemish my college's female population because we weren't what you were looking for (sluts) isn't something I take kindly to. Also, if I remember, one of my friends who was there that night walked away with "Michael Scott"'s phone number. Clearly, if you lowered your standards gentlemen, we did too. (She never did go on the date she set up with him mind you, most likely saw the same facebook album I did)
On a better note, alcohol can be a great friend. I was having a rough day, my friend Morgan was there to take a little of the edge off of my muscles. My friend had dealt with a recent death and the family and Jack was there to console her. It can do wonders for calming the nerves and creating good conversation. I had been over my friend's older brother's apartment and met a nice guy there, and our conversation started out with what we were both drinking. Lo and behold, a friendship blossomed. Then, there are the times alcohol and bridge the gap in between friendship and fuck buddy. A friend I had in high school only got affection from a guy she knew from both of them being completely wasted. Good friend, bad matchmaker. Used in the right context, it could become more and be beneficial.
Going to New Hampshire with some friends for winter break last year, alcohol can do good things for your social circle. Apparently, it was very rare for the guys I found myself in company with, to have a woman drink a handle of Captain. I tried absinthe for the first time and earned a little respect. It was nice. In short, alcohol can be a great thing, it can be used to celebrate birthdays, holidays, and ease emotional discomfort. It can also have you wake up the next morning and regret everything (and everyone) you did just twelve hours earlier.

No comments: